Sunday, July 20, 2014

Entry #14: Dreams of a Paper Route

One theory concerning art is that everything we create, from instrumental solos to the realm of fantastical fiction, is autobiographical- that no matter how far we stray from our own vécu in our artistic endeavours, that whatever we produce will reflect what we're living and believing at the time of creation. I totally agree: I think that the words, colours and melodies we exalt are inextricable from the people and places we choose, and the time and cultural settings we are born in.

And thus, when we read a book, listen to a song, admire a sculpture, watch a film- when we experience art in a way that steals our breath and captures our imagination in the best of ways, it is natural to question the people, places and events which helped to mould it in the mind of its creator.

I am thinking about this a lot lately as I observe the slight variations between Canadian and British culture. Even though the environment, technological advancement and social mores are fundamentally similar, small differences concerning the weather and acceptable mother-child behaviour are enough to explain, in a small way, vast differences between British and Canadian cultural produce.

(Example: I no longer question why women occupy the large majority of villain roles in British children's literature)

But I digress. I am interested in unraveling the importance of culture and setting in British books, by reading classics (old and new) and traveling to the place where they were conceived and/or created. Literature plays a huge role in the way we understand a time or an event, and as someone who's life is continually impacted by great works, I am thinking of doing a kind of reader's pilgrimage through the UK to better read, write and understand this beautiful country.

I have a few works on my list already:

Persuasion by Jane Austen (in Lyme Regis, just 10 minutes from where I'm staying now)

Watership Down by Richard Adams (in Worcestershire, in Hampshire)

The Witches or Matilda by Roald Dahl (Llandlaff, Wales, and Bucinghamshire)

Harry Potter (a must) by JK Rowling (in Oxford, Scotland, Northnumberland)

Poems by Wordsworth (in the Lake District)

This is where I need your help. Do you have any novels or books, old and new, that I could add to my list? Ideally, these books would be set in the UK and be considered as classic or at least representative of its socio-cultural environment. It can be poetry, a short story, a children's book- I just want to read. Ideally I'd have a list of about a dozen.

I haven't made many plans about when I leave Sidmouth in September (although it would be pretty monumental to be in Scotland during the referendum on September 18th), but if nothing else comes up, I think this is what I would be happiest doing.

I hope y'all are enjoying your summer, basking in the sunshine and reading some books! Please send me some suggestions!

Elise x

3 comments:

  1. How about Cautionary Tales for Children (also useful for Young adults!) by Hilaire Belloc, written in Shipley, West Sussex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters, earlier this summer. It is a fiction, depicting music hall and Victorian society in the nineteenth century; London. I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I am recommending it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's room for a singer-songwriter I suggest Lucy Rose because I'm hooked and she's from England and I really think you'd like her.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aei31Nj_pdA

    ReplyDelete