Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Entry #2: Pre-Brit (En Route pour le Bout du Monde!)

When I was young, I had a big collection of children's books under the name of Passe-Partout (based off the famous 80's television show). They followed the adventures of Pruneau and Canelle, brother and sister, through various tribulations. In one particular story, they traveled to Gaspé to visit their grandfather and hear the folktales and myths surrounding Le Rocher Percé.


It's a long drive out to Gaspé from Sherbrooke--roughly ten hours of driving from Sherbrooke. After staying on the TransNational for awhile, the road begins to snake along the bay. I've never been so far out east before. It's beautiful.

Visiting places you've seen or heard about in books can only really bring about two outcomes: disappointment and general frigidity; or amazement and a sense of syncretism. In my case, it was the latter. It's hard to believe that this "p'tit bout du bout du monde" is part of my home province. I've traveled quite a lot already, but so far this journey is touching in a way I hadn't expected.


Britain preparation has somewhat fallen to the wayside right for now, but as soon as I get home Thursday morning I'll finish up the important tasks (renew my driver's license, pack my suitcase, graduate, blablabla). I'm enjoying the salt water scenery for now (which doesn't quite stall the airport nightmares I've had for two consecutive nights. That flight is going to be challenging one for this knucklehead). 


You can also go on whale cruises here. I'm always shocked to learn that whales can live so close to the shore. In my mind, they dwell deep in the dark sea, spiralling gracefully far from human action. I know that's silly though; I've been on a whale cruise before, in the Saguenay when I was seven or eight, but I'm afraid I spent most of that opportunity describing my plastic sea animals to the (very patient) tour guide. I would love to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment