Saturday, June 21, 2014

Entry #6: The Hostel Life (Experiences in Cheap Youth Accommodation)

           Out of all the uncertainties I face on this wild fling with the UK, the most significant is probably accommodation insecurity. Today is my fifth morning in London, and last night I stayed in my third bed.  I’m staying there again tonight, but then the hunt begins again when I board the train for Devon tomorrow night. The main inhibitor to advanced preparation is my lack of credit card; most rooms can’t be booked in advance without one, particularly at a distance. Luckily, that problem should be solved by tomorrow morning.

All this meant my tramping around London on Friday morning with my 30-pound suitcase and backpack, knocking at hostels and begging asking for a bed. I was pretty lucky, striking luck on the third attempt: the first hostel, in Bayswater, was fully booked; the second hostel, adjacent to the Earl’s Court Station, didn’t even exist; finally, I hauled my weary self into the Balmy Badgers Backpackers whereupon I learned that there was exactly one bed available, atop five flights of stairs, and that I could stay there for a night if I paid upfront. Relief.

Less reassuring was the realization that I was the only female in a mixed dorm with three other men. But I took it in stride.

It can sound dangerous or silly to be an 18 year-old staying in a co-ed dorm; however, I did remind myself that the notion of gender-separate dorms is quite a heteronormative one (assuming that all humans operate by a two-gender binary and heterosexual lifestyle); besides, I was staying in an institution with 64+ other boarders and several staff members, and if something were to go wrong or should I be made uncomfortable, assistance was available.


In the end, my brief stay in Room #16 of the BBB was very enjoyable. The first roommate I met was a young and friendly med school student; the second roommate didn’t speak except to gruffly introduce himself as—get this—Olaf; the third was a friendly kiwi who took me out to the pub, paid for my tea, and listened as I talked about why addressing issues concerning sexual health and identity was important (spreading the good news of the lord, always). The bed itself was fine, but it took me a long time to fall asleep.

Yesterday, I regretfully checked out of Balmy Badgers and rolled my things two doors down to Saint James. My nights were pricier here, but the hostel is cleaner, the rooms more spacious, and I got the only available bed, which was in a female-only dorm. I only met four of the seven girls sharing my room, but two of them were very friendly (the other two came in sporting identical Bishops University buns*, applied concealer while staring appraisingly at my not-pristinely-hairless legs, and whined to leave the lights on after 11 so they could read their Harlequins).

In all seriousness, I have no grudge against girls my age, but personality clashes are recurring and expected. Those I do befriend, I do so very selectively.

After I got settled, I went for a long run to see what was in the vicinity. I’m staying in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, but I had no virtually what was around.

What I saw:

-Natural History Museum (sooooo big)

-About nine churches of various faiths

-Kensington Park

-Kensington Palace

-Places to buy running shoes and a towel (two things I need to procure for myself)

I had a good few days. I went to my orientation session and met other Canadians (even other Quebeckers) living in London. I went exploring with a friend and wound up at Buckingham Palace. It’s surrounded by a beautiful park, whereupon I was jubilant to take pictures of many pigeons (I have my priorities). Today I’m thinking of visiting a wetland, buying my train ticket to Devon and perhaps going to Brick Lane Market—I hear it’s nice.

I’m thinking of all you beautiful folks back home! Don’t forget to love yourself and enjoy the long days.

*Bishop’s University Buns are a hairstyle commonly sported by most girls at Bishop’s University. These girls were from Australia. But it was just as disconcerting.

Song of the Day: Bright Eyes--A Bowl of Oranges
Heard this song yesterday and it summed up everything that is good about staying in hostels.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Back in Canada it is St. Jean Baptiste day. High school students in Ontario are writing final exams and then off for the summer. We are still enjoying a wet summer. The gardens and lawns are flourishing and everything looks very beautiful, especially thanks to Laurie for some good gardening tips last weekend. Who knew I had to buy a mate for my blueberry plant!

    Still, by comparison to your adventures, life seems pretty ordinary. I look forward to your next post Elise. Love, Jude & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was particularly sprinkled with lovely little connections to us "lovely folks" and I appreciate those greatly. I am glad to see these various adventures occurring without misfortune so far. We all miss you too!

    ReplyDelete